There are a number of different reasons why your water may taste like blood. A high iron content is by far the most common reason to have a (metallic) taste that can be similar to blood. However, there can be other harmful contaminants that may be the root cause.
Reasons tap water tastes like blood
- A high iron concentration from corroded pipes. Iron in blood is what gives it the metallic taste.
- Other trace metals such as zinc, manganese, copper, or even lead.
- Injury. You’ve bitten your cheek or caused a minor injury in your mouth.
- Covid-19. Some individuals who experience loss of taste from Covid-19 have also reported having a metallic or bloody taste in their mouth.
- Medication. Many medications report a side effect of tasting blood. these include antibiotics, antidepressants, blood pressure, and diabetes medication. If you’ve recently started taking medication consult with your doctor as it could be a common side effect.
- Pine Nuts. It’s rare, however, some individuals have reported a bitter metallic taste in their mouth the day after consuming pine nuts. It can last as long as 2 to 4 weeks.
- Pregnancy. With all of the changes a body goes through during pregnancy it’s not surprising that a bloody or bitter metallic taste in the mouth is one of them.
- Neurological Conditions. A metallic taste in the mouth could be the beginning symptom of a neurological disease such as Bell’s Palsy.
If water is the cause then it is likely a metal imparting a blood-like taste. View our Taste Series on “Why does my water taste like metal?“
The Taste Series
- The Taste Series – Why does my water taste ______? Water can have many different underlying tastes; some […]
- Ever thought about why we drink cold water or prefer ice-cold water? At one point, you may have […]
- Why does my water taste bad?If your tap water tastes bad it is likely from a contaminant. If you can narrow down what […]
- A bitter taste in drinking water can be caused by the presence of metals, a high ph, or […]
- Why does my water taste funny?If your tap water starts tasting funny then it is best to get to the root cause of […]
- Why does my water taste like blood?There are a number of different reasons why your water may taste like blood. A high iron content […]
- Usually, your tap water should taste or smell relatively neutral. However, if there is a new or existing […]
- The smell and taste of chlorine or a bleach-like smell in tap water is usually a residual amount […]
- A metallic taste in drinking water can be caused by the presence of one or a combination of […]
- Why does my water taste like plastic?Although it most commonly occurs when you let water sit in a plastic bottle for too long, plastic […]
- Why does my water taste like soap?A soapy taste can be caused by many different contaminants on the way into your glass. So in […]
- When you have a glass of salty-tasting water it’s automatic to assume that it just has a little […]
- Why does my water taste sour?A sour taste is most commonly caused by acidic water. Water with a lower pH level will begin […]
- Why does my water taste sweet?A sweet taste in your drinking water can be caused by various contaminants, some of which are harmless […]
- Why is my tap water smelly?Pure water is supposed to be odourless, colourless, tasteless, and neutral. However, tap water is not pure; it […]